The problem is, Bambi's always going to be my benchmark for how I want a mascara to work, and Bambi's an animated deer whose best friend is a rabbit with a fairly noticeable twitch. Evidently I'm not working with a very realistic basis here, and this is probably why I've been searching for the Holy Grail of Holy Grails (if there even is such a thing) for a very long time.
...This mascara isn't the above, but it's pretty bloody good if you want thick, lustrous, smoking a cigarette through red lips like a 50's Hollywood starlet kind of lashes which are lengthened and hold their curl.
Just... colour me shocked. I did not expect to like this mascara, which is Eyeko's Big Eyes Mascara.
Image shamelessly poached from Monsieur Google.
- Squeeze me: The first thing to note is the packaging, which I've only seen a couple of times on my various trips to the makeup counter. It's a squeezy tube with a wand inside, and the idea is that you squeeze it before applying your mascara so that the wand is thickly coated. Great in theory, but clumps like a bugger if you go in gung-ho.
- Magic wand: The thing about the wand is that it's... particular. It's very thin and bristly, and is almost reminiscent of those useless Maybelline mascaras they launched when I was about 15 which had the tiny, tiny brushes. Fortunately, this wand has a touch of magic and sparkle in it and lengthens, curls and thickens perfectly, and it's extremely lightweight.
- x+y=z: For me, this is the perfect formula: thick and the blackest black, which doesn't dry a charcoal grey colour, like your eyelashes have aged. I'm not one for watery mascaras (coughcoughGreatLash), so this formula is perfect for thickening up my spindly lashes a treat.
- Curly wurly: Hands up who wants to chomp on one of those now? I've not had one since I was about 10... Anyway. This mascara, much to my surprise, holds a curl in my lashes like no other. My lashes look curled and thick all day long - and that's not even happened with my beloved Diorshow Blackout Waterproof.
- Price Check: This mascara is £8! I don't even need to say anymore - it does the job of Diorshow but at a fraction of the cost.
This is a hidden gem of a mascara, which lengthens, thickens and curls in just a few strokes. It's black enough for me and lasts all day without any smudging under the lower lashline. The thick formula can clump, however, but I just keep a trusty lashcomb handy. For me, clumping is a small price to pay for lashes this easy.