Due to my own lack of artistic vision, I don't really 'do' taking photos of myself for an FOTD post; I always end up with awful, blurry photos or I look much uglier immortalised in pixels than I do in real life. However, today the sun is shining and I'm feeling the proverbial spring in my step, so I dug out my digital camera and had a little point and shoot session.
Sure, it took me about 12 photos to reach my desired outcome, but I'll put that down to the necessity of choice. At least with 12 poorly-snapped options, it's easier to sort the downright awful from the startlingly mediocre.
So, without probing too far into Alanis Morisette territory, it does feel a little ironic (and let's not even go there with Ms. Morisette's version, which isn't even real irony anyway), that the moment I get a bunch of new shiny playthings for my eyes, I'm turned completely off colour and have gone back to my roots: thick black liquid liner and the lovely red lip. There's something in the simplicity which makes me feel satisfied and pretty; nothing ever goes wrong and my feathers don't get ruffled when I've tried to blend all my eyeshadow together and it looks horrible.
My first FOTD: simple, unpretentious and gratifyingly so; barely any thought put in bar the little pop of colour (blink and you'll miss it) on the lower lashline.
- Chanel Mat Lumière Foundation in Faïence
- Touche Eclat
- Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in Soft Porcelain
- Kryolan Anti-Shine Powder
- MAC Eyeshadow in Concrete for the brows
- NARS Blush in Orgasm
- Shiseido Fine Eyeliner in Black
- MAC Liquid Eyeliner in Boot Black (newly-rediscovered love - perfect for the thick liner look)
- Diorshow Blackout Waterproof Mascara
- MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Grey Utility on waterline
- NARS Bellissima lightly over lid and as a highlight
- MAC Eyeshadow in Birds & Berries on lower lashline
- MAC Pro Longwear Lipstain Marker in Tomorrow's Coral
- Balm Balm Lip balm
I'll let you into a secret about that Lipstain Marker... Kiwi picked the colour and I'm totally in love. I don't care if Temptalia slated these as I'm all over them (as predicted). Perfect for me.