Recently I've been noticing something about my skin which seems to be mirrored by the rainy greyness we're having in the UK at the moment: my skin looks dull, feels dull and I feel dull as a result; my eye makeup choices have all been boring colours sloppily applied without much thought as I've given up battling the spreading fog invading my complexion. Not only has my skin been subject to its usual mélange of dry patches and oil slicks, but it has also been subjected to the ravages of a cold winter climate: cold outside air and drying central heating.
And there's always my diet... Christmas and beyond never does make for a wonderfully healthy eating régime (and I'm still eating up all of my Christmas chocolate!)
So, my skin has become duller than... [insert clever metaphor here] and I just wanted to share with everyone a few products I've been using to make it brighter and healthier. Obviously, there is no quick-fix solution and I could just apply a luminescent foundation to get that bright, dewy look, but I'm trying to fix my skin from the ground up. Here is my recent skin care army for beating the dull (if you didn't already see it on Youtube, that is!):
- NUDE CLEANSING FACIAL OIL: I've been using this religiously since January and have begun to notice a change in my skin which must be down to the Nude philosophy of only using ingredients which your skin can use, like Vitamin E and Omega 3. Since using this cleansing oil, my skin has been much softer and brighter with a lot fewer spots. When I use this, I imagine my skin giving a big happy sigh and curling up like a cat in front of a roaring fire.
- NUDE CLARIFYING WATER: This is a newcomer to my beauty regime, but it has already made a huge impression on me, especially with my previous great experience with the Cleansing Facial Oil. This product leaves me skin feeling really clean and refreshed without stripping it of what I'd like to keep on there - natural oils which keep it soft and spot-free. So many toners I've tried which are aimed at oily-combination skin are far too harsh, but Nude have it spot-on with a gentle toner which keeps your skin in balance containing beta hydroxy acid and Birch bark (try saying that after 2 glasses of wine!).
- ORIGINS MODERN FRICTION: This face scrub has become one of my favourite weekly treatments to my skin which I'm actively motivated to go through the motions of because I love the effect it has on my skin. I generally use exfoliators because they are a matter of necessity rather than any particular desire, but this is one I really like. Origins say it contains both lemon oil and peppermint to keep your skin perky.
- CLARINS BEAUTY FLASH BALM: This is one of those products which has gained cult status in the beauty industry because of its apparent ability to lay the smack-down on fatigued and dull skin. It comes in the form of a peach-coloured lotion and you can use it two ways: as a mask or as a normal lotion. Clarins advise you apply a thin layer to your face without rubbing it in (tricky...) and then apply your makeup immediately after. The result is brighter, dewier skin which just looks more awake and less ravaged. I have no idea how this thing works, but I think it's pretty fabulous - and I will suck up the extra forehead oiliness because I like it so much.
- ESTEE LAUDER ADVANCED NIGHT REPAIR: Another cult favourite which has received a lot of good press. I really expected this to be an oil-based product when I first acquired it and was surprised (and heartened) to find it was an oil-free serum. It has a light herbal scent and feels refreshing on the skin. For me, the results were not overwhelmingly WOW! at first, but I'm growing to love this little bottle which would not look out of place in an apothecary. It heals your skin overnight, helping over time to fade acne scars, fine lines and improve skin tone. So many people can't be wrong, and I can't help but follow the masses on this one.
- HOLLAND & BARRETT GLYCOLIC ACID SKIN RENEWAL CREAM: Completely obscure product with a ridiculous show-pony of a long name which actually works. Applying this to my face, I get a slight tingle, and the slight tingle always makes me feel like it's doing something. Other than waking up with oilier skin and the scent I simply hate, this completes my nightly skin regimen and I've genuinely noticed that I've been waking up with a better, happier skin tone which is brighter and more even.
So, that completes my list. Does anyone else have any fail-safe products or concoctions for sleepy winter skin?