So, my beauty-related resolutions for the New Year are:
- Stop buying so many mascaras: I think starting a Youtube channel has made me spend so much more money on products I feel like experimenting with! And it's good to experiment, but not in the case of mascara. With mascara, I've always been extremely fastidious and stuck to the two I know work on me: Diorshow Blackout or Diorshow Iconic. This year I've been buying so many lacklustre mascaras and been disappointed every time. Why do I keep wasting my money when I know exactly which ones I like?!
- Grow my hair: I'm going to have to echo Sophie here when I say I can't wait to grow my hair out! Pre-Youtube and beauty blog days, my hair was almost a pixie cut and here is a gratuitous photo. The reality is, and this is part of the next resolution, that I've been trying to grow it since August and it's only just reached the length of a short bob :( I've had a hankering for long hair for quite a while now, not least because I miss having a ponytail. Please grow!
- Lose some weight: I'm not going to lie, 2009 was a tough year for me; I had my dissertation to write, countless courseworks, surgery and too many takeaways because there was no time to cook. And then I graduated and thought everything would calm down, but instead of winning the glittering job I was hoping for, I instead failed to get a job at all and sat around doing nothing until now. So, I put on weight. And now I want to lose that weight; I want to energise and motivate myself beyond walking to the Supermarket and back. Hopefully a healthy-ish food routine and some hula-hooping will get me back to being happier with my figure, instead of just tolerating the newly-formed lumps and bumps.
- Look after my skin: I've always been really lazy with my skin, and having finally (at age nearly-23) managed to get myself into a 'cleanse, tone, moisturise' routine, I am noticing the benefits and fine-tuning what works with my skin and what doesn't. I wish I'd made an effort to do this earlier! A lot of my skin problems have stemmed from both having oily skin and having eczema, which means I'm both oily and dry at the same time. I tend to go for unperfumed moisturisers for my face, toners with natural ingredients which can control oil and any kind of exfoliating facewash. Something I definitely need to look at is eye cream (never can start too early!) and moisturising my body, which I'm extremely lazy about. My goal is to keep my routine up and improve on some areas! It's definitely seeming to work as it is right now :)
- Wear less black: Now, I'm not a goth by any definition of the word (and if you are, fair play to you!), but my wardrobe has far too much black in it; it's literally a wash of monochrome. I love black, mainly for the reason it's so versatile and can be worn with everything. However, I feel like black is almost a safety net for me and I'm almost scared to wear colour. So, this year, I need to start wearing more bright colours.
I think that's it for now! I had fun with this; it was pretty easy to see where I need to make changes and how I could tackle them, though I'm not promising I'll actually be able to keep any of these...